• Highway Safety Frequently Asked Questions

    1. How is our Program Organized?
    The program has two phases:
    a. Classroom (graduation requirement)
    b. Behind the Wheel (not required, additional $50 fee for students in the district and $250 for students outside of the district)

    2. When should my son/daughter take Classroom driver's education?
    The semester of or before their 16th birthday, if possible.

    3. How does my son/daughter apply for a learners permit?
    Complete the "Learner's Permit Application" which includes a section to be
    completed in full by a medical provider.  If they will not be accompanied by a parent or guardian and are under age 18 they must also have a Parent Consent completed.  For more detailed instructions on obtaining a permit and license in the state you can access our Steps to Getting your permit and license in PA.

    On or after their 16th birthday, take the application, parental consent form,
    their ORIGINAL Social Security Card and ORIGINAL Birth Certificate as well as a check or money
    order for $34.50 to the PA Testing Center in Somerset on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays between 8:30 am and 4:15 pm.

    4. How, when and where do they sign up for In-Car?
    Once they receive their permit they can see Mr. Correll or Mr. Oglevee in room 150 at the high school for a Parent Consent form that must be completed and turned in to Mrs. Beal in the Senior High Office 

    5. What are the main provisions of the PA Teen Driving Law?
    The teen driving law changes in early 2012 here is a link to the updates.  http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/teenDriversCenter/newTeenDriversLaw.shtml
    The permit is valid for one year.
    In order to test for a license, they must have:
    - their permit for at least 6 months for skill building.
    - at least 50 hours of certified behind-the-wheel skill building time.
    The supervising adult must be age 21 or older and licensed.

    6.  How do I get my senior license early?
    In order to get your Senior License at 17 1/2 years old.  You must first have your license for 1 year, you must successfully complete the classroom portion and behind the wheel portion of the class.  Have not been involved in a crash for which you were partially or fully responsible for, have not been convicted of any violation of the PA Vehicle Code, and have your parent consent.  You must fill out this form and have it signed by one of the highway safety teachers. 
    7.  Is my son/daughter permitted to drive out of state with a learners permit?
    The Pennsylvania Driver's Manual states that if you plan on using your learner’s permit for driving outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to check with your insurance company and the other states’ Department of Transportation (or Department of Motor Vehicles ) to make sure your learner’s permit is valid. So it would appear that PennDOT allows for you to drive out of state with a learner's permit but you would need to check with your insurance company to make sure it would cover you driving out of PA with the permit.
Last Modified on July 17, 2013